Cascading Lookup Not working - new user needs step-by-step guide

Posted By paradoxchic 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Cascading Lookup Not working - new user needs step-by-step guide

Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Newbie

Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I've just installed the Kwiz Cascading Lookup for MOSS 2007, and registered the product. I can see the new column type 'Cascading Lookup Plus' on my lists. I've attempted configuration (several different ways). My columns are blocked out for editing and do not seem to be associated with the parent list at all. What am I doing wrong? This is a simple City/State lookup. I've searched in vain for a step-by-step guide! Am I using the right tool? What needs to happen on each of the 3 lists below for me to filter the cities by selected state code?

State List--> State column

City List -->.   State column and City Name column

Store List  -->  Need to (a) select a state from State List  and (b)  Select city from City List (filtered by 'Cascading Lookup' State)
Anthony
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being

Supreme Being (115 reputation)Supreme Being (115 reputation)Supreme Being (115 reputation)Supreme Being (115 reputation)Supreme Being (115 reputation)Supreme Being (115 reputation)Supreme Being (115 reputation)Supreme Being (115 reputation)Supreme Being (115 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi,

To display "Region", "Country" and "City" fields, where each one filters the next, please follow these steps.

1.       Create custom list “Regions”, “Countries” and “Cities” in the following format in the same site:

Regions

2.       Countries:  This list should have a look up column that should source the parent list (Region)

3.       Cities:   This list should have a look up column that should source the parent list (Countries)

4.       Create any SharePoint list (ex: location) and make 3 columns of type cascading lookup called “Region”, “Country” and “City” in the following format:

Region

Country

City

5.       Your lookup fields should look like the following:

Anthony,
KWizCom Support
pjhowcroft
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Newbie

Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I have followed the instructions provided above and it sort of works.  When i selct the first drop down  ie region.  the other fields "appear" to refresh but when you selct the drop down they are blank.  if i click refresh on the second field it populates ok & then selcting an option refreshes the 3rd field OK.

is this normal?

Cheers

Phil
Igor
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being

Supreme Being (415 reputation)Supreme Being (415 reputation)Supreme Being (415 reputation)Supreme Being (415 reputation)Supreme Being (415 reputation)Supreme Being (415 reputation)Supreme Being (415 reputation)Supreme Being (415 reputation)Supreme Being (415 reputation)

Hi,

Please contact our support (support@kwizcom.com) in order to get BETA version which fixes the issue.

Igor,
KWizCom 
kxgirvin999
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I have a similar scenario but slightly different.

I am in the USA and I am using State, County, and City for my cascading dropdowns.  In this scenario, a county with the same name can can reside in more than one state.  For example, Orange county resides in NY and CA.  This causes a problem when I select the state (NY), and county (Orange) because, I see all cities in Orange County for NY and CA.  Is there a way to get around this?
kxgirvin999
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)

I just created my account so I'm not sure if my last post made it or not.  In case it did not:

I am using State, County, and City as a cascading dropdown.  All three together make a unigue key.  Also, state and county make a unique key.  However, county and city alone are not unique.  A county with the same name can be in more than one state.  For example, Orange county is in NY and CA.  Since that is the case, if I choose NY (state) and Orange (county), how do I filter out cities from Orange county CA that should not be in the dropdown?
Igor
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being

Supreme Being (415 reputation)Supreme Being (415 reputation)Supreme Being (415 reputation)Supreme Being (415 reputation)Supreme Being (415 reputation)Supreme Being (415 reputation)Supreme Being (415 reputation)Supreme Being (415 reputation)Supreme Being (415 reputation)

Hi,

You have 2 ways to do that:

1. You can have 2 different Orange county for each state.

2. Your City list should have 2 lookup fields to State and County. In this way you can have 2 master fields and filter by both of the fields.

Hope it helped

Igor,
KWizCom 
kford
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Newbie

Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

I have a much larger issue. I have not had a problem with creating cascading lookups for smaller lists, they work fine, etc. However, I need to create a cascading lookup for a very large list (2800+) records. I really do not want to manually go in and lookup the information for each of the records. I've tried a couple of things to load up the Sharepoint list so that the list can be converted to a lookup field but I'm not having any luck. Is there a way to upload large lists without having to manually connect the first column to the second column? 

Thanks! 
Igor
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being

Hi,

You can create an utility which will go and call SystemUpdate for each item in the list. The update will call EventHandler and EventHandler should connect the items.

You maybe need to have some delay between updating each item. You can use Thread.Sleep for that.

Hope it will help you

Thanks,

Igor,
KWizCom 
kford
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Newbie

Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

Hi Igor --- that would be helpful if I knew how to create a utility to call the SystemUpdate for each item in the list. Can you give me a little more direction? 

Thanks!